Jim Salerno focuses his practice in all stages of development for constructing and financing domestic and international energy and infrastructure projects. He represents developers, sponsors, investors and lenders in structuring and negotiating renewable power, energy storage, carbon capture, renewables, geothermal, hydro and nuclear generation projects, including the drafting and negotiation of project documents and related financing. Jim also represents lenders in domestic PPPs and clients in the mining and metals industries.
Jim also advises developers and lenders in the oil and gas industry, primarily in the Latin American and sub-Saharan Africa markets. He represents an array of clients, from institutional investors seeking access to natural resources to banks financing the construction of new and retrofit projects. Jim also represents parties in vendor and supplier financings, as well as subordinate lenders, hedge providers, offtakers, ECA’s and development finance institutions.
Jim frequently speaks on DOE issues. He also maintains an active pro bono practice in New York-based civic and community affairs.
- Advised NRG in a refinancing of a credit facility for Alta Wind, the largest wind farm in the US*
- Advised Starbucks as tax equity investor in a solar generating facility*
- Advised Canacol Energy in its upstream and midstream project financings*
- Advised Rakuten, one of the world’s largest e-commerce companies, in certain infrastructure investments*
- Represented NRG and AREVA in obtaining DOE loan guarantees*
- Represented The China Export-Import Bank in the process-oriented Texas Clean Energy Project*
*Matter handled prior to joining McDermott*
- Chambers Global, Banking and Finance: USA and Latin America-wide, 2012 to present
- Chambers Latin America, Banking and Finance: Latin America-wide, 2012 to 2019
- Chambers USA
- Banking and Finance: Nationwide, 2011
- Banking and Finance: New York, 2010
- Legal 500 USA, Projects: Renewables and Alternative Energy, 2022
- Legal 500 Latin America, Banking and Finance International, 2012 to 2015
- Legal 500 US, Finance, 2008 to 2009
Harvard Law School, JD, cum laude, 1991
Union College, BS, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 1980