Shah Jahan Khandokar focuses his practice on project development and has extensive experience in energy and infrastructure projects across the full energy value chain.
He has broad experience in a range of energy subsectors including conventional power, renewables, hydrogen, oil and gas, LNG, and trading. Shah Jahan has a focus on international energy projects in emerging and frontier markets (in particular, Central and South Asia, MENA and sub-Saharan Africa), with experience advising foreign investors/sponsors, lenders, and host governments.
His experience includes acting in LNG and pipeline projects, and both conventional and renewable power projects, including several first-in-country projects. His clients include multilateral organisations, power developers, international oil companies, mining companies and trading houses.
Prior to joining McDermott, Shah Jahan worked for an international law firm where he was the leader of the firm’s Global Energy team think tank.
- Advised a consortium led by BP and SOCAR on one of the world’s largest energy projects, the US$40 billion Shah Deniz 2 gas project in Azerbaijan, including managing legal risk for portfolio of 10 EU buyers*
- Represented a major oilfield services company on its entry in, and exit from, the Fortuna FLNG Project in Equatorial Guinea*
- Represented a Japanese consortium in relation to a potential investment in the Tanzania LNG project*
- Advised an equity investor in connection with a 250 – 500MW electrolyser (green hydrogen and green ammonia) facility in the Middle East*
- Advised the lenders in connection with the US$1 billion Sudair 1,500 MW solar PV plant*
- Advised a lender in relation to the expansion of the GCC Interconnector to Basra, Iraq*
- Advising three DFIs on the financing of Ethiopia’s first independent power plant (geothermal)*
- Advised multiple sponsors and lenders in relation to Egyptian FiT projects (solar and wind), totalling US$1.5 billion*
- Representing the management team (former NY private equity) of a US$500 million energy platform / fund with a 3 – 5 GW renewable energy pipeline (focused on Middle East and Africa)*
- Advising the Government of Uzbekistan and the International Finance Corporation in relation to the procurement of a 1,600 MW baseload CCGT power plant and a 650 MW peaking plant*
- Assisted the majority shareholder and project company in various confidential matters regarding the Qurrayah IPP (net generation capacity of 3,927 MW, making it the largest CCGT IPP in the world)*
- Advising a supermajor on the development of a gas- fired power plant in the Caribbean which will be supplied by associated gas
- Advising a developer in its bid for a wastewater project in Uzbekistan*
- Advising a developer in relation to the Taweelah RO desalination IWP in Abu Dhabi*
- Advising a lender to ACWA Power in relation to the Jubail 3A water desalination project in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia*
*Matter handled prior to joining McDermott
- The Legal 500 UK, Next Generation Partner in Projects, Energy and Natural Resources: Power, 2023
- The Legal 500 UK, Rising Star, Energy Projects, 2020 and 2021
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators, member
BPP Law School, LPC
BPP Law School, PgDL
University of Nottingham, BA, with honors
England and Wales
Supreme Court of England and Wales