Thomas (Tom) P. Ward advises high-net-worth individuals and business owners on the income tax, corporate and compliance aspects of complex business and investment transactions, with a focus on family office management companies, private investment funds and complex incentive equity programs.
Tom has extensive experience in establishing and working with family offices and investment entities, ranging from first-generation entrepreneurs to multi-generational families, with net worth from $40 million to many billions of dollars, including a number of individuals listed in the Forbes 400. Tom works closely with the entire advisor team to implement the optimal structure for a particular situation and has extensive experience working with private trust company, airplane, transfer tax and security law considerations.
Tom is Co-Leader of the Firm’s Closely Held Passthrough Affinity Group and is a frequent speaker on trends impacting family offices and high-net-worth individuals.
Ranked as “Band 1” by Chambers High Net Worth in its national Family Offices & Funds Restructuring category, clients praise Tom for being “a very thoughtful and knowledgeable attorney that truly understands the needs of an SFO. Tom’s approach is very thoughtful and always tries to find creative ways to accomplish his client’s goals.”
While in law school, he was an editor of the Michigan International Law Journal.
- Represented multiple clients in connection with the formation or restructuring of management companies and family offices, private investment funds and related incentive equity planning for employees
- Led advisor team on $1 billion investment partnership restructuring
- Lead legal team on tax, corporate and other planning for multiple family management companies
- Represented clients in establishment of outbound investment and inbound investment structures
- Chambers High Net Worth 2022, USA Nationwide: Family Office & Fund Structuring, Band 1
- American Bar Association
University of Michigan Law School, JD, 1996
University of Notre Dame, BBA, summa cum laude, 1992
Courts / Agencies
US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
US Tax Court