Greg focuses his practice on complex domestic and international tax matters for multinational companies, closely held businesses, investment funds and family offices and high-net-wealth individuals. He advises US and foreign-based publicly traded and privately held companies on domestic and international mergers and acquisitions, financing transactions, and global restructuring transactions. Greg regularly advises on the tax aspects of complex domestic and international transactions and the formation, structuring, and operation of private equity funds and family offices. He is experienced in negotiating, drafting and documenting transactions involving corporations, partnerships and cross-border entities. In addition, Greg regularly represents international businesses and individuals with structuring and reorganizing their US operations and investments, including a significant amount of US real estate-based transactions such as the purchase and sale of commercial real estate and hospitality-related assets.
Greg frequently serves as a speaker on domestic and international tax issues and authors articles on various tax matters.
- Advised Healthcare Trust of America in connection with its issuance of $800 million of senior notes.
- Acted as special tax counsel on the sale of a national children’s camp and educational company to a publicly traded corporation.
- Advised a leading ophthalmology practice in connection with a sale transaction.
- Acted as special tax counsel to a commercial real estate company in connection with the refinancing of a $25 million mortgage loan.
- Acted as tax counsel to a US-based private equity fund with the negotiation and documentation of credit facilities in connection with the acquisition of a Canadian-based technology company.
- Advised a US-based private equity fund in connection with its investment in a US-based artificial intelligence company, having a transaction value of $10 million.
- Served as lead tax counsel to a US-based private equity fund in connection with its investment in a global software as a service (SaaS) company.
- Advised a national provider of mental health services in connection with its acquisition of a regional mental health practice having a deal value in excess of $10 million.
- Advised a US-based private equity fund in connection with its investment in a US-based FinTech company, having a transaction value in excess of $200 million.
- Acted as US tax counsel to an international family in connection with the acquisition of a luxury home with a purchase price in excess of $20 million.
- Represented the Atlanta Braves with certain Florida tax issues associated with its development agreement for its new spring training facility*
- Counseled client in the US$65 million sale-leaseback of a downtown Miami Holiday Inn*
- Advised a multinational asset manager on the restructuring of various of its sub-advisory entities and implementation of intercompany agreements*
- Served as special tax counsel in the acquisition of a luxury hotel located in Florida with a purchase price in excess of US$100 million*
- Represented a Latin American-focused investment fund with over $50 million of investments in US-based private equity funds*
- Counseled a US asset manager on the structuring of a US focused investment program tailored to EU investors*
- Represented Wynwood Brewing Company in its partnership with Craft Brew Alliance*
- Advised in the acquisition of a Florida-based assisted living facility out of a court-appointed receivership*
- Represented a Brazilian-based asset manager in the formation of a credit opportunities fund*
- Advised in the acquisition of various real estate assets in South Florida by a Latin American business conglomerate with an aggregate purchase price exceeding US$200 million*
- Advised client in a multi-jurisdictional state and local income tax planning for privately-held Asian-based holding company with US real estate assets in excess of US$1 billion*
- Represented a multinational media and software company in post-acquisition restructuring*
*Matter handled prior to joining McDermott.
- Turnaround & Workouts, Bankruptcy Tax Specialists in the Nation’s Major Law Firms, 2022
- Daily Business Review, Most Effective Lawyers 2020 – Tax
- Super Lawyers Florida “Rising Stars”, 2017 to 2018
- The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of South Florida, 2016
- Miami-Dade FAWL Foundation, Inc., Member of the Board of Directors
- American Bar Association, Tax and Business Law Sections, member
- Florida Bar Association, Tax and Business Law Section, member
- New York State Bar Association, Tax and Business Law Section, member
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York, member
University of Miami School of Law, JD, cum laude, 2003
University of Miami, MBA, 2004
Niagara University, BBA, magna cum laude, 2000
US Tax Court
US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
US District Court for the Southern District of Florida
District of Columbia