Our team has been practicing in the FinTech and blockchain area since 2013. With a group of dedicated partners and associates focused exclusively on this space, we are committed to developing the blockchain and FinTech industry, protecting your interests and growing with your business.
While many lawyers can raise cryptocurrency-related questions, we provide answers. We are known as one of the top blockchain teams in the industry and have been at the forefront of shaping cryptocurrency law and regulation. To help you navigate the web of regulations for cryptocurrency and FinTech companies, we draw on our insights and experience developed working in the cryptocurrency and blockchain industry since the beginning. Above all, we pride ourselves on the one thing that matters most to you: We deliver results faster.
Our cryptocurrency team leaders practice in various legal disciplines and now focus their practices exclusively on cryptocurrency and blockchain. Within this specialty, we lead the industry in recovering stolen cryptocurrency, obtaining licenses, obtaining “no action” relief, executing bet-the-company transactions, advising on first-of their-kind blockchain projects, launching non-fungible token (NFT) platforms, advising on novel regulatory decisions, leading landmark bankruptcy cases and rolling out FinTech and cryptocurrency companies throughout the United States. We regularly take cryptocurrency and FinTech companies from a few founders forming an entity to completely operational and fully staffed businesses.
As part of our core practice, we focus on regulatory strategy, litigation and transactions, with a range of experience we can deploy to support your needs. Highlights include:
We have spearheaded all types of cryptocurrency transactions, ranging from fundraising to token sales, capital markets offerings, fund formation, venture and private equity investments, private sales of unique items, and a wide range of technology agreements and commercial contracts.
Our team also creates and advises cryptocurrency hedge funds and other investment vehicles, representing both distressed cryptocurrency companies and investors. We regularly resolve investor’s rights disputes and have filed some of the industry’s leading lawsuits in cryptocurrency tracing, recovering stolen cryptocurrency, and Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO)-related litigation. We pioneered the use of cryptocurrency tracing to serve our clients in recovering stolen cryptocurrency. We also lead reorganizations and other restructurings.
In recent years, we have been particularly focused on NFTs, a series of private and public blockchains, and advising on issues concerning Decentralized Autonomous Organizations (DAOs). We have been hired by some of the largest technology companies in the world to construct NFT platforms and advise on regulatory issues.
We are at the forefront of nationwide money transmitter licensing efforts, Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) registration, and tax. Our team also advises cryptocurrency companies on tax efficient corporate structuring and executive compensation issues.
We have defended government investigations from virtually all federal criminal and regulatory bodies, including the Department of Justice (DOJ), SEC and CFTC. We have defended clients in every major cryptocurrency SEC investigation. On the state level, we have defended cryptocurrency-specific investigations from a wide variety of state banking and securities regulators. Along with defending government investigations, we are often called upon to conduct internal investigations for cryptocurrency exchanges and others in the industry.
We advise cryptocurrency clients on core intellectual property issues, including trademarks, patents and related litigation. We have won some of the country’s first cryptocurrency intellectual property cases.
Our team is regularly called upon to speak at industry events, legal education presentations and the top academic institutions in the world. We have trained federal law enforcement agencies and others on cryptocurrency tracing and other aspects of the cryptocurrency practice. Our work has been published in countless respected journals and publications, and our results have been widely reported in a variety of crypto-specific and mainstream media outlets.
Our comprehensive services include:
- Multiple funding rounds
- Private equity investments from both sides, representing both investors in crypto companies and the companies themselves
- M&A and corporate transactions
- Advising on the purchase and sale of unique items with cryptocurrency
- Venture financing
- Family office and private investments
- Token sales
- Public companies
- Cutting-edge cryptocurrency litigation
- Crypto tracing and asset recovery
- Cryptocurrency bankruptcy litigation
- DAO-related litigation
- Cryptocurrency investors’ rights litigation
- Defending cryptocurrency companies and exchanges in investor and customer disputes
- White collar and regulatory defense
- Nationwide roll-outs
- Comprehensive regulatory strategy
- Securities regulatory risk analysis and token listing advice
- Registering cryptocurrency exchanges and cryptocurrencies with the SEC
- Banking regulations
- Money transmitter licenses
- Trust charters
- Custody issues
- Commodities advice
- Airdrops, NFT giveaways and other similar programs
- Structured products and securitization
- Capital markets
- Platform design and implementation
- Decentralized finance (defi) and yield-earning platforms
- Comprehensive non-fungible token (NFT) support and strategic advice
- Intellectual property:
- IP and patent portfolio advice
- Trademark filings
- Trademark-related disputes and litigation
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) takedown issues and related disputes
- Privacy and cybersecurity:
- Comprehensive data security and privacy