Richard B. Smith focuses his practice on representation of life sciences companies and related transactions. He has served as counsel to public, private and emerging life sciences companies, advising those companies on strategic business transactions such as licensing, joint ventures, and collaborations involving research, development, marketing, supply, clinical development and co-promotion of pharmaceutical, diagnostic and medical device products.
Richard also advises companies on other corporate issues common to life sciences companies, including corporate formation of new ventures, venture capital, private equity, venture philanthropy and other forms of financing, mergers and acquisitions, as well as university and institutional licensing and intellectual property strategies.
- Represented a Dutch biopharmaceutical company in a strategic collaboration with a major pharmaceutical company involving oligonucleotide therapeutic products for an orphan drug indication in a deal valued at more than $650 million
- Represented a publicly held biopharmaceutical company in strategic deals with several major pharmaceutical companies for the development and commercialization of nucleotide-based immune modulators for applications as divers as asthma, allergies and cancer; the transaction related to cancer was publicly valued at more than $500 million
- Represented a publicly held biopharmaceutical company in a strategic license and development deal with a major pharmaceutical company involving a therapeutic cancer vaccine in a deal valued at more than $440 million
- Advised a publicly held biopharmaceutical company in the purchase of certain biotech products from a large publicly held biotechnology company
- Acted as a key member of a team representing a large Japanese pharmaceutical company in its multibillion-dollar acquisition of a publicly held biotechnology company
Suffolk University Law School, JD
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, ME
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, BS
Courts / Agencies
US Patent and Trademark Office