International law firm McDermott Will & Emery has been recognized for the twelfth consecutive year as a leading global trademark practice by World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000. The WTR 1000 gathers the world’s leading trademark professionals and focuses exclusively on the trademark practice. McDermott was once again recognized as a ‘go-to’ resource for those seeking world-class legal trademark expertise. McDermott’s trademark team received stellar firm and individual rankings and strong client and peer accolades in California, Illinois and Washington, DC. WTR also praised McDermott’s global team for its commitment to “delivering the best service imaginable.”
Overall Firm Rankings
- Illinois – Silver Band for Overall Trademark Practice, including Trademark Prosecution, Strategy, Enforcement and Litigation. The publication applauds McDermott for its “multijurisdictional enforcement prowess” and for protecting clients “to the hilt wherever they need.” WTR also adds that McDermott’s trademark team “ensures that portfolios are optimized for commercial purposes and take a consistently business-focused approach to global rights management.”
- DC Metro Area – Bronze Band for Enforcement and Litigation. McDermott is noted for its ability to take “care of filings with the minimum of fuss… and is well equipped to lead strategic global brand protection, management and enforcement initiatives.” The publication also brings attention to our work with more than 1,500 trademark applications annually and our stellar grant rate.
- Sarah Bro – Bronze Band for Prosecution & Strategy. Sarah, who serves as managing partner of the Firm’s Orange County office, was recognized among the most esteemed trademark professionals in the California market for her work in the area of trademark prosecution and strategy.
- Christina Martini – Gold Band for Prosecution & Strategy, Silver Band for Enforcement & Litigation. Christina, who serves as the Global Head of McDermott’s Trademark Prosecution and Controversy Practice, has been consistently dually ranked by WTR 1000 since the publication’s inception and has also been designated as a WTR Global Leader. In this year’s edition, clients describe Tina as a practitioner who “lives and breathes trademarks and draws on vast experience.” She represents all types of companies across myriad industries and receives special recognition this year for that aspect of her work at the intersection of trademarks and regulatory law, including in the pharmaceutical space for clients such as EQRx.
- Jennifer Mikulina – Gold Band for Prosecution & Strategy. Jennifer, who has also received numerous client accolades over the years through WTR 1000, is given special praise for being “extremely capable and does an excellent job giving thorough advice in an efficient manner.” The publication continues to share that Jennifer is “a collaborative lawyer who astutely uses the resources available to her, ‘she is willing to refer to colleagues if someone else is better placed to answer a question; most attorneys are afraid to do this… Jennifer has her priorities straight, which is serving the interests of those she represents.”
DC Metro Area
- Robert Zelnick – Silver Band for Enforcement & Litigation. Robert is praised for his consummate professionalism and for being a “rock for many” – both clients and colleagues alike. He is also noted for his trend awareness and is “increasingly handling trademark issues arising from brand owners’ heightened desire to showcase their environmental credentials.” WTR calls attention to his work with Terlato Wines International, a leading marketer of luxury wines, in connection with prosecution, oppositions and enforcement proceedings as it highlights our integrated approach in tackling challenging matters.
The full World Trademark Review 1000 directory is available here.
McDermott’s full-service global trademark practice is one of the strongest and most active in the world. Our experience spans across all aspects of brand management including selection, counseling, clearance, prosecution, enforcement, litigation and transactional matters. We partner with our clients from the earliest stages of product development to provide strategic advice in searching and filing for brand names globally. To maximize the value of our clients’ portfolios, we develop global filing strategies that are streamlined and cost-effective. We are leaders in the area of branding, including the maintenance, enforcement, licensing, acquisition and disposition of IP rights in addition to handling copyright, domain name, social media, advertising, unfair competition and trade dress matters.
McDermott Will & Emery partners with leaders around the world to fuel missions, knock down barriers and shape markets. Our team works seamlessly across practices and industries to deliver highly effective—and often unexpected—solutions that propel success. More than 1,200 lawyers strong, we bring our personal passion and legal prowess to bear in every matter for our clients and the people they serve.
Erin West+1 202 756 8135