Wilson Chu focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other strategic transactions, as well as related corporate governance, for clients ranging from Fortune 500 serial acquirers to private equity funds to emerging technology companies in the United States and abroad. While he has experience in a wide range of industries, his practice is heavily weighted in the technology and healthcare sectors, particularly digital health and fintech.
As the creator of the American Bar Association’s (ABA) influential M&A Deal Points Studies, Wilson is widely recognized for his thought leadership that continues to shape M&A practice globally. He was a founding co-chair of the ABA’s M&A Market Trends Subcommittee, which publishes the Deal Points Studies. From 2018-2021, Wilson served as Chair of the ABA’s M&A Committee, the largest group of its kind in the world.
Wilson is founding co-chair of the University of Texas Mergers & Acquisitions Institute, the country’s leading private company M&A conference since 2005, the founding chair of the International Financial Law Review/Inter-Pacific Bar Association’s Asia M&A Forum in Hong Kong since 2005, Asia’s leading M&A law conference, and founding chair of the Mergers & Acquisitions Section of the Dallas Bar Association.
His leadership also extends to diversity in the legal profession, with a number of transformative “firsts,” including co-founding the Texas Minority Counsel Program, founding the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA) Partners Committee, and co-founding the Best Lawyers Under 40 award of the NAPABA.
Wilson teaches M&A as an adjunct professor of law at Southern Methodist University School of Law. Wilson is also a member of (and has served in various leadership roles at) the New York-based Committee of 100.
Wilson is co-founder of The Alliance for Asian American Justice Inc., a national coalition of law firms and Fortune 1000 General Counsels, to stand up for victims, and prevent future acts, of anti-Asian violence.
Multiple acquisitions and strategic transactions for
- 7-Eleven, Inc.
- AmerisourceBergen Corporation (NYSE: ABC)
- Dell Inc. (NASDAQ: DELL)
- Renren, Inc. (NYSE: RENN)
- Sabre Corporation (NASDAQ: SABR)
- Xerox Corporation (NYSE: XRX)
- United States Automobile Association
- Varian Medical Systems Inc. (NASDAQ: VAR)
- Texas Lawyer, Diversity and Inclusion Champion, 2022
- Who’s Who Legal, Global Leader: M&A and Governance, 2022
- Who’s Who Legal, Thought Leader: M&A, 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, International Mergers and Acquisitions, 2007 – 2022
- D Magazine, Best Lawyers in Dallas, 2011 – 2012; 2014 – 2022
- Texas Super Lawyers, Mergers & Acquisitions, 2003 – 2020
- Chambers USA, Texas Technology: Corporate/Commercial
- The Legal 500 United States
- Acritas Star Lawyer
- Co-Founder, Alliance for Asian American Justice
- PracticalLaw.com, member of advisory board
- Asia M&A Forum, co-organized by the Inter-Pacific Bar Association and Euromoney’s International Financial Law Review, founding conference chair
- The University of Texas Mergers & Acquisitions Institute, founding co-chair
- Dallas Bar Association, Mergers & Acquisitions Section, founding chair
Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, JD, 1984
Southern Methodist University, BBA, 1981