Jacob M. Mattinson focuses his practice on employee benefits and matters related to 401(k), 403(b), pension, executive compensation, health care reform, and cafeteria and welfare plans.
Jacob assists clients in drafting employee benefit plan documents and amendments. He represents clients in matters before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), US Department of Labor (DOL) and Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation with respect to plan qualification issues. He also counsels privately and publicly held corporations and tax-exempt entities on a variety of benefits and Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) issues, including ERISA fiduciary issues, compliance with the Affordable Care Act and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), ERISA implications in corporate transactions, ERISA administrative claims and appeals, and executive compensation matters.
While in law school, Jacob was editor in chief of the Penn State Law Review. In addition, Jacob served as a legal intern for the Honorable Judge Renee Cohn Jubelirer of the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania. Jacob is the Chairperson of the Young Professionals Board of Equip for Equality. Internally, Jacob serves on the Firm’s Pro Bono and Community Service Committee.
- Obtained compliance statements from the IRS through the voluntary correction program under the Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System (EPCRS)
- Drafted employee benefit plan documents in connection with a $2.1 billion dollar sale of a corporate subsidiary to a private equity firm
- Advised clients on information reporting to the IRS under health care reform and compliance with the employer shared responsibility rules
- Counseled group health plans on compliance with HIPAA’s privacy, security and nondiscrimination requirements, and represented welfare plans in contracting with third-party vendors
- Prepared determination letter filings and obtained a favorable determination from the IRS regarding the continued tax qualification and the qualification upon termination of both pension and 401(k) plans
- Obtained no action letters from the DOL through the Voluntary Fiduciary Correction Program to correct fiduciary breaches and counselled clients on restoring losses to plan participants and beneficiaries
- Super Lawyers, Illinois Rising Star, 2019 to 2022
- Equip for Equality, Young Professionals Board and Special Education Parent Council
Pennsylvania State University, The Dickinson School of Law, JD, magna cum laude, 2012
Brigham Young University, BS, 2009