Dr. Boris Uphoff has 24 years of experience representing companies in both court and arbitration proceedings. His practice focuses on intellectual property disputes (patents, trademarks, unfair competition), product liability law, insurance law and D&O disputes.
Many of the disputes he handles are cross-jurisdictional and involve other European countries, the US or Japan. He represents national and international companies, particularly within the automotive, electronics, food and insurance sectors.
To read Boris’ full biography in Japanese please click here.
He also regularly acts as an arbitrator in international arbitration proceedings.
Boris is admitted as a lawyer (Rechtsanwalt) in Germany and as a solicitor in England and Wales. He is a certified specialist in intellectual property law (Fachanwalt für gewerblichen Rechtsschutz) and acts as an honorary judge at the Lawyers’ Disciplinary Court (Anwaltsgericht) for the District of the Munich Bar.
- A Japanese manufacturer on the defense of claims for damages for allegedly defective electronic components in the High Court in London and the Court of Appeal
- A market-leading food manufacturer on the enforcement of trademark and competition law claims against a product imitation from a retailer
- A former member of the management board of a German stock corporation on the defense of claims for alleged misrepresentation during due diligence in connection with a company sale
- A cell phone company on the defense of claims for alleged patent infringement
- A European stock corporation on the enforcement of claims against a British car manufacturer for the premature termination of several supply contracts
- Handelsblatt/Best Lawyers™ Germany 2018-2023: Leading Lawyer for Intellectual Property Law
- Thomson Reuters, Stand-out Lawyer – independently rated lawyers, 2023
- IAM Patent 1000 2022: “Heading up the Munich branch is Boris Uphoff, a master of patent infringement and unfair competition disputes who is used to dealing with issues across Europe, the United States, China and Japan, and has also dealt with his fair share of SEP licensing deals.”
- The Legal 500 Deutschland/EMEA 2022: Recommended for Patent Law and Dispute Resolution
- IAM Patent 1000 2021: “Taking charge in Munich is Dr. Boris Uphoff, a veteran of myriad cross-border patent battles across Europe, the United States, China and Japan who also regularly tackles unfair competition matters.”
- The Legal 500 Germany/EMEA 2021: Recommended for Patent Law, Dispute Resolution, Trademark and Competition Law (“Boris Uphoff’s legal assessment and processing as well as the joint handling of the mandate are both exemplary. He and his team are excellently qualified in the aforementioned field and, in my view, can be recommended for any kind of cooperation”, interviewee)
- Acritas Stars 2020: Listed among independently rated lawyers
- IAM Patent 1000 2020: “He is a very professional and dependable IP litigator who anticipates the opposing side’s next moves. If something unexpected happens, he deals with it. He is familiar with the courts and judges and knows what to expect”, client
- The Legal 500 Germany/EMEA 2020: Recommended for Patent Law, Dispute Resolution, Trademark and Competition Law (“Boris Uphoff is a very experienced and highly motivated colleague. His target-oriented and assertive manner together with the excellent reports to the client make him highly recommendable”, interviewee)
- IAM Patent 1000 2019: “Courtroom warrior Boris Uphoff instinctively knows how to play his technical hand when staring into the dealer’s face, having entered into the fray (…) in one of Germany’s biggest patent cases of recent years.”
- JUVE Handbuch Wirtschaftskanzleien
- German Association for Intellectual Property Law
- German Institution of Arbitration
- Law Society of England and Wales
Frankfurt Court of Appeal, Second State Exam 1997
University of Constance, Dr. jur., 1996
University of Mainz, First State Exam, 1995
Scholar of Friedrich-Naumann-Stiftung, 1991-1995
Certified Specialist in Intellectual Property Law
England and Wales (Solicitor)