Stefano Mechelli leads the Italian International Dispute Avoidance and Resolution Practice, with a focus on transnational and international litigation. He advises domestic clients involved in US and European litigation proceedings.
Stefano is engaged in active pro bono practice, including litigations before Italian courts, as well as volunteering as an arbitrator and a mediator for the New York City Small Claims Court. He was formerly in the mediation roster for the US District Court for the Southern District of New York.
Stefano has published in Italian legal journals articles on corporate law and related procedural issues. He also gives presentations on current Italian and international litigation issues such as Italian class action and international arbitration.
- Litigating and assisting arbitration panels in corporate and commercial arbitrations, both ad hoc and administered (including proceedings conducted according to the Paris International Chamber of Commerce Rules of Arbitration)
- Litigating cases before Italian courts on issues of corporate and commercial law, liability for environmental accidents, as well as civil law issues
- Representing clients in litigation before other European courts, namely German and Spanish national courts
- Advising clients on matters with US connections
- Chambers Global 2021, Dispute Resolution-Italy
- Chambers Europe 2012 to 2023, Dispute Resolution-Italy; described as “very pragmatic and result-focused, with great analytical ability.”
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2021
- TopLegal Litigation Guide 2013 to 2014, including Tier 2 ranking; described in 2014 as a “key player on the market with wide recognition” for international arbitration and as a leading lawyer “appreciated by clients for his capability to anticipate the outcomes of cases,” and in 2013 as leader of a team “regarded for their international arbitration engagement.”
- American Bar Association
- NYSBA – New York State Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association
- Deutsch-Amerikanische Juristen-Vereinigung e.V.
- Hamburgischer Anwaltverein e.V.
- Rechtsstandort Hamburg e.V.
- ICC – International Chamber of Commerce, Institute of World Business Law
- ICCA – International Council for Commercial Arbitration
- CPR – International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution
- DIS – Deutsche Institution für Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit e.V.
- Young ICCA
- ICDR Young & International
University of California – Berkeley School of Law, LLM, 1998
Università degli Studi di Roma “La Sapienza”, summa cum laude, 1995
Courts / Agencies
Supreme Court of the United States
US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
US District Court for the Southern District of New York