Marjorie C. Soto Garcia’s labor and employment practice covers single plaintiff and class action litigation, employment counseling, traditional labor (including union activity and collective bargaining), and M&A and complex transactions. She regularly defends employers in state and federal lawsuits alleging discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, wage and hour violations, violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Private Attorney General Act (PAGA) actions and unfair labor practice charges under the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA). Marjorie is additionally experienced in managing complex transactions (including M&A), regularly providing clients with strategic advice on potential risks and practical, business-oriented solutions. She is also experienced in dealing with trade secret, confidentiality, non-compete and non-solicit matters in employment and separation contracts.
Marjorie is fully English/Spanish bilingual, frequently interfacing with witnesses and parties and drafting written communications in both languages.
Before practicing law, she was a multicultural recruiter for various Ivy League and other top-tier colleges and universities, where she helped make a college education accessible to students of diverse and underrepresented backgrounds by educating them on the aspects of the college application. She also led small/corporate and major gift fundraising and donor stewardship efforts for non-profit organizations, receiving a certification from The Center on Philanthropy at Indiana University.
- Represented international client in federal and state dismissals of multi-million dollar Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) class actions
- Represented large American multi-brand restaurant operator in dismissal of national class action alleging bias claims in connection with wage and hour policies
- Represented Kaiser Aluminum Corporation (NASDAQ:KALU) in its definitive agreement to purchase Alcoa Warrick LLC, containing all the assets of the Warrick Rolling Mill (Warrick), from Alcoa Corporation for a purchase price of $670 million
- Represented Blue Sea Capital in its acquisition of Elder Dental Corp
- Represented Martis Capital in its acquisition of Care Hospice, Inc.
- Represented CenterGate Capital in its acquisition of Ouray Sportswear
- Represented Livongo Health in its acquisition of MyStrength, Inc.
- Represented Comvest Partners in its acquisition of Intertex, Inc. dba B-Air
- Represented Gemspring Capital in its acquisition of Bobit Business Media, Inc.
- Represented Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. in its acquisition of Sufferfest Beer
- Top Lawyers Under 40 Award, Hispanic National Bar Association, 2022
- Mexican American Bar Foundation, board of trustees member
- Latina Lawyers Bar Association, board member
- Neighbors Acting Together Helping All (NATHA), Pasadena, CA, board member
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Region XVIII, member
- Mexican American Bar Association, member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, member
- Stanford Professional Women of Los Angeles, member
- Munger, Tolles and Olson Diversity Fellows Program, mentor/presenter
University of California – Los Angeles School of Law, JD, 2016
Stanford University, BA, 2009
Courts / Agencies
US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
US District Court for the Central District of California
US District Court for the Northern District of California
US District Court for the Southern District of California
US District Court for the Eastern District of California
California Supreme Court