Dr. Wolfgang von Frentz advises clients on telecommunications, media and technology (TMT). He has longstanding experience regarding litigation, the judicial enforcement of his clients` claims and when it comes to complex transactions. In the area of digitization and “Industry 4.0” Wolfgang advises on the development of new business models as well as their implementation and transformation.
Wolfgang specializes in complex dispute resolution. He frequently and successfully represents DAX and international companies – especially in the areas of media, information technology, intellectual property and corporate law – in state court proceedings, including the European Court of Justice (ECJ), as well as in arbitrations.
He also counsels clients on data protection and compliance issues and with regard to complex outsourcing projects, research and development as well as licensing agreements. Wolfgang successfully accompanied numerous transactions. In addition, he represents his clients in the development and implementation of IT systems to optimize production and sales across company and country boundaries.
Wolfgang is the author of numerous publications and head of the German practice group Telecommunications, Media and Technology (TMT).
- A leading German TV broadcaster in a legal proceeding before the European Court of Justice regarding the German law ban on regional advertising in TV programs
- A leading German advertising marketer in a legal proceeding against the provider of ad-blocking software (a browser extension suppressing Internet ads)
- A leading company in the tourism industry in a legal proceeding against a competition authority concerning the sale of the customer database
- A leading European retailer on the design, redesign and internationalization of an online platform for caterers and consumers, including data protection, general terms and conditions, competition, banking and other regulatory requirements
- Several international media companies on the launch, operation and design of streaming services in the film and sports sector in Germany, including the ongoing adaptation to changed/new legal requirements
- Handelsblatt/Best Lawyers™ Germany 2023: Leading Lawyer for Corporate Law, Intellectual Property Law, Litigation, Media Law, Technology Law and Telecommunications Law
- JUVE Handbuch Wirtschaftskanzleien 2022/2023: Recommended for Media (“absolute industry expert”, “helps when things get complex”, competitor) and Information Technology and Data Protection
- Chambers Europe 2023, Band 2 in Germany: TMT Media
- Chambers Europe 2022: Recommended for TMT-Media (“very quick and thorough and he gives you comprehensive advice so that you get always a very clear picture”)
- Global Law Experts 2022: TMT Law – Lawyer of the Year in Germany
- The Legal 500 EMEA/Germany 2022: Recommended for Telecommunications, IT Transactions and Outsourcing, Entertainment, Information Technology and Digitalization
- Handelsblatt/Best Lawyers™ Germany 2021: “Lawyer of the Year” in Technology Law
- JUVE Handbuch Wirtschaftskanzleien 2020/2021: Recommended for TMT (“Strong opponent”, “strongly established in the market”, “remarkable number of fundamental proceedings”)
- Client Choice Award 2015: Awarded in the category “Media & Entertainment